At Team Training Unlimited, we have been fortunate to assist with building and developing hundreds of teams, from a wide variety of industries.This exposure to so many great people has led us to discover a few key observations. To begin converting a group of individuals into a high performance team, it is important for you to help them to understand why they are a team, and what the purpose and priorities of the team are. Powerful ”first steps” for anyone leading a team:
1. Know the core purpose and top priorities of your team, and how these relate to the organization’s core purpose and top priorities.
2. Develop a crystal-clear understanding of how your team is aligned with other “internal” teams that your team interacts with.
3. Understand the path from your team to the end-user, customer and purpose of your organization.
4. Communicate the teams’ core purpose, top priorities, alignments and customer needs to your team members clearly and often!
There are few mysteries to building and maintaining a high performing team. By paying careful attention to the 3 P’s of High Performance teams, and continuously checking to ensure that everyone is “up to speed” in these 3 areas, you are there!
1.People: Being aware of the skills that team members possess and having the relationships in place to leverage those abilities.
2.Priorities: Helping the team, customers and the rest of the organization to be crystal clear on what the team is all about. Clearly monitoring and communicating priorities on a daily basis if necessary, is how the magic happens!
3. Processes: Having systems in place in order to reproduce high quality results.Ensuring that team members are clear on their part in the overall process.